The charm of a shiny new gaming laptop never really faded up. And vendors like Asus are always trying their best to come up with the best gaming laptop at the lowest price like this one, Asus FX503VD-DM002T. Let’s check this beginner gaming cum multimedia laptop out then.
- CPU – Intel Core i7 Quad-Core (7th Gen), 2.8 GHz
- GPU – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- Memory – 8 GB DDR4
- Screen – 15.6-inch Full HD IPS (1,920 x 1,080)
- Storage – 1 TB SATA HDD + 128 GB SSD
- OS – Windows 10 Home edition
- Performance – It comes with an Intel Core i7 processor and 8 gigs of RAM to tackle all your gaming needs. You get 1 TB of 5400 rpm HDD along with a 128 GB SSD. The tiny solid state drive helps to speed up the pace of action; although the transfer speed is not really anything stellar with the sequential transfer rate at only 500 MBps.
- GPU – The included NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 is a popular choice for most of the starting gaming notebooks. It’s fairly powerful for both light gaming and moderate photo editing. Even some of the gruesome titles like Tom Clancy’s The Division (48 fps in 1080p Medium) and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon (37 fps in 1080p Medium) ran with ease in medium preset in its native 1080p resolution.
- Portability – Unlike some of the meaty gaming laptops which are fairly heavy even for a gaming laptop it’s pretty slim and lightweight. Even at the thickest part it’s only as thick as 25 mm and weighs 2.2 kg overall. That’s pretty good for a gaming notebook like this.
- Display – The display is not one of the best that you might find around. The average brightness is pretty low at only 200 nits. That’s much lower than the category average of 280 nits. As a result, it’s highly inconvenient for using outdoors. The colour reproduction capabilities are pretty limited with sRGB colour coverage at only 60% which is once again not convincing at all.
- Cooling – Now that’s one section where you’ve gotta outperform the others to perform well. And that’s where it seems it’s somehow not up to the mark. After a small gaming session, the temperature hit almost the 41°C mark at the top of the keyboard deck near the WASD keys. As a result, it might be a bit uncomfortable for long gaming sessions.
It’s a good starter gaming model which comes at a moderate budget. It can be a good choice for the occasional gamers. Although I honestly don’t think it would even be the second choice for the professionals (like the digital content creators) due to the subpar display.